5 Reasons Why You Should Be Preparing Food for the Week
Reviewed & Approved by Dr. Larry
When you are trying to create a healthier lifestyle, it can be easy to get off track. Long days at work may have you rushing to a fast food chain between appointments, and by the time you get home in the evening, you may be ready to order takeout and call it a night.
But many of the distractions and excuses that get in the way of healthy eating habits can be eliminated by cooking food for the week and keeping it in convenient, easy-to-grab containers. If you aren’t currently preparing food for the week ahead of time, here are the top five reasons to start now:
1. It saves you time. By setting aside a few hours to prepare healthy food for the week, you don’t have to worry about rushing home every evening too cook. This gives you more time to devote to other responsibilities and the things you love to do — and maybe sneak a workout in. Plus, with all of your food already conveniently prepared and packaged, you won’t be as likely to hit the drive-through or the vending machine when you’re short on time.
“Not only do we have all this good food that’s going to be nice and convenient and ready for me to have a good week, but it gives me the opportunity to visualize myself eating the way I want to eat this week in order to meet my goals.”
2. It keeps you on track. Many people food prep for the week for weight loss. By portioning your meals and snacks ahead of time, you can develop healthy habits that will help you lose weight and keep it off, like ensuring you’re getting all of your daily fruits and vegetables, eliminating mindless eating and controlling your portion sizes.
3. It saves you money. Eating out can be expensive, especially when you grab lunch or dinner on the go several times a week. If you cook food for the week ahead of time, you’ll be less likely to spend money going out. And if you only buy what you need at the grocery store, you’ll be less likely to waste food at home. More efficient planning, shopping and prepping can end up saving you a lot of money at the grocery store.
4. It is designed to work for you. You don’t have to be a pro in the kitchen to start making basic, healthy meals at home — but it doesn’t have to be boring, either. Try experimenting with different recipes and ingredients. You can get creative as you want and use meal prepping as an opportunity to add variety to your diet. There are many ways to meal plan, so search for food prep for the week ideas that work for you.
“During food prep is a great time to not only plan out your workouts, but to see your week, and see yourself executing it the way you want and need to do to get to your goals.”
5. It helps you visualize your goals. Preparing your food ahead of time can help you visualize yourself sticking to your plan to achieve your health and fitness goals. As you plan and prepare your meals for the week, imagine each dish as another step toward a healthier lifestyle.
Food preparation for the week is one helpful tool you can use to start developing healthier eating habits. By integrating weekly meal preparation into your lifestyle, you can help set yourself up for long-term success.