The Science Of Masks, Record COVID19 Closes US Back Down.
Written by Dr. Larry
“Last month, 48 of 50 states reopened. This week, many governors are shutting back down. Daily new cases in the US have doubled in two weeks – from 20K to 40,000, to 56,000–that’s almost triple in 14 days.
The percent testing positive, the blue line, has increased from 4.5% to 7%–that means more sick COVID people. 38 states are going up with record numbers in California, Texas, Florida, Arizona, the Carolinas, and more.
In early June, California saw 2K and saw nearly 10K new cases daily this week.
With Florida also near 10,000 and Texas not far behind at 8,000 daily new cases; 35 other states are also up, many also logging record case numbers.
The number of states that remain flat is down to 11, and only New Hampshire and DC decreasing. Also concerning, some states that declined are now increasing: Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, Pennsylvania. While cases are up, there’s hope the new cases are young people who won’t get sick, and US deaths are still trending down – but hospitalizations are up, ICUs are nearing capacity.
In the weeks to follow, we will see:
- Can our hospitals handle the surge?
- Will the new science of Dexamethasone, Remdesivir, Convalescent Plasma and the treatments we now have growing evidence for — save lives?
- Will the infected young and healthy spread this to those most vulnerable?
What about the rest of the world?
Worldwide added 1.2 million new cases and 33,000 deaths. 30% of all COVID19 cases in just 3 weeks.
There are 5 hotspots are Brazil, India, Russia, Mexico, and US. The other 4 countries are experiencing their first spike.
The tragedy here is we already had a first spike in April, and are spiking again, while Europe, Japan and Canada are not. Not only do we have more cases, but as you can see in the graph, we have far more cases per million as well.
Which is why we MUST double down on wearing masks.
SCIENCE OF MASKS
If you’re young and not worried about COVID, here’s another reason you should be. A Chinese study suggests COVID might trigger diabetes.
First some basics:
- About 1 in 10 Americans have diabetes, and 2 in 10 are pre-diabetic and at risk.
In diabetes, your body can’t regulate your blood sugar. Normally, Alpha cells in your pancreas secrete glucagon, which triggers glucose from the liver, Beta cells in your pancreas secrete insulin, which helps cells absorb glucose from the blood.
Together, insulan and glucagon, the pancreas and liver, are in harmony and maintain normal levels of blood sugar. If you have Type I diabetes, your immune system destroys the beta cells in your pancreas – throwing your blood sugar off balance. Now here’s what we know about COVID and diabetes. In April, doctors reported the first patient with no previous signs of diabetes who, after COVID, could no longer regulate insulin. Again in April and May, 2 more Chinese studies looked at about 800 patients, and saw COVID accelerated signs of diabetes
We also know Coronavirus interacts with ACE2 proteins, which many organs use to regulate blood sugar. Last week, another Chinese team added more evidence:
- They infected human pancreas cells grown in a lab with coronavirus
- These cells responded in several ways that associate with diabetes. The infected pancreatic cells were transplanted into mice and after two months, ACE2 was found present in the same alpha and beta cells that regulate glucose.
- The pathways controlling beta and alpha cell regulation were also down regulated meaning that there is less insulin regulation. The pathways involving cytokine and chemokine were upregulated resulting in higher inflammation. Less insulin regulation. Higher inflammation.
Given this growing evidence – and the high risk of diabetes in America, a pre-diabetic person has every reason to avoid COVID-19.